Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fundane Activities

I went to an art store.

and that's the BORING version of the story! Today's errand could have been seen as nothing special, but oh, it sorta was! So much so that I'm makin' an entry about it. Snappidy doo dah.

My mission was to go down to the Art Supply Warehouse, so I took Beach Boulevard all the way south to Westminster. And I saw the coolest things.

Chapter 1: Rally's
I totally saw a Rally's. It's a burger joint, if you didn't know. I've NEVER seen one before and I was going crazy because I didn't realize the commercial for Rally's was so ingrained into my head! It had a little tune that I hear in my cranium once in a while that goes like (Kevin's version because he doesn't really know the words):
"When it's in your eyes
There's no surprise,
You've got a thing...
For Rally's.
Gotta eat - ain't nothing like this
Gotta eat - ain't nothing like this.
"
So this Rally's down Beach Blvd. was a myth becoming true. Much like Sonic's, I was always befuddled as to WHERE this restaurant was, much less if it actually EXISTED. Well today I found out it does exist.

Chapter 2: Hookers and Cowboys
After driving passed Medieval Times and RALLY'S, I felt there was a sense of mystery on this street. I glanced to my right and there was a group of people walking down the street - maybe around 7 of 'em. One of the ladies was blond with a super short pants, so (I apologize now in advance), my first thought was "DAYTIME HOOKER?!". Methinks I watched a little too much My Name Is Earl.

I looked again in curiosity, not interest, to find out that it was just a regular group of people. "Aw thas not as exciting" I thought, but then I noticed that two of the four guys had cowboy hats. I don't know about you, but I've never seen someone wear a cowboy hat as standard attire, at least not in real life. Maybe I should try Texas?

Chapter 3: Robin Hood
From 1900's to 1400's. I didn't actually see a guy dressed up as Robin Hood, but I saw some mama-papa motel covered in pink that looked like it hadn't been renovated since the 1960's. In the front it had a big sign of a Robin Hood figure who was making a "Shh... be quiet" gesture with his finger, which was tied into the name of the motel somehow. I don't remember the name, so I'll assume it was something like "Ye Old Inn" or something awesome to that degree. Or POSSIBLY, it still held on to archaic terms that don't translate well to modern day lingo, such as "Inn the Hood". Regardless, the sight was both intriguing and horrifying.

Chapter 4: Mini-car
Still driving down this street, I see a tiny convertible car pop out of a neighborhood along the sidewalk. It was about the size of queen size bed. By now I should have EXPECTEDto see such an oddity, but my reaction was still "WHAT da eff was that!?". With closer inspection, I found out it wasn't a CAR car, I think it was more like some kind of cart used to transport stuff, but it was still as random as helium.

See? "Helium" makes no sense in that sentence. Too random.

Chapter 5: Art Supply Warehouse
Alas, I arrived at the X on the map (see, title of chapter). I imagined it being a Costco version of Tall Mouse, what with the word "Warehouse" in the name, that's not a noun you should abuse with exaggeration. I thought the place was gonna be huge. But it wasn't. It was average size. At least from the outside..!

Undeterred by the underwhelming size, I entered and was met with copious amounts of bodies. Many other people (not surprisingly) heard about the store's 25% off everything deal too. As routine when encountered with a bunch of strangers, I moved quickly in search of my destination (the paints, if you were curious), careful not to bump into anyone or wave my sniffer through a volume of floating body odor. "Just keep moving..."

Once I had all my paints in my basket, I granted myself leisure time to just explore the store. And lemme tell you guys, IT WAS SO MAGICAL! The place was actually a decent size! Every nook and cranny was filled with wall-to-wall supplies for any artistic endeavors of my choosing. I had never seen anything like it! DID YOU KNOW HIGGINS INDIA INKS COME IN A RAINBOW SELECTION OF COLORS?! (Don't answer that.)

It was like the first time I went to the huge Amazing Comics book store. Except this was COOLER! Because it sold materials for me to MAKE art, not just enthrall in the final product, and all the nerdy, middle-aged men were replaced with odorless introverts! That's gnarly if I've ever defined gnarly.


After an hour of browsing (hey they even sell BOOKS there!!!) and a free gift for buying supplies (a little monkey cut-out thing), I set off on the journey back home. Like the end of every adventure, nothing really happens on the way back home. And nothing did. (I took the freeway.)

But lesson learned, my friends! Fascinating sights are everywhere! You just gotta take notice.


Also, this was a result of impulse shopping while waiting in line to pay:

It's Bloove.It's candy. (Blooberry flavor.)

2 comments:

regina said...

OMG I DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE HAVING A SALE ART SUPPLIES HERE ARE EFFING EXPENSIVE ): ): ):

Julia said...

Aaaugh I am so jealous! Colored India Inks... @_@